Attention!

Thanks for visiting!
* When you see the * in my posts that just indicates a new line/paragraph. :)
* To see a lot of fun information, scroll through the side bars and to the bottom of the blog.

01 May 2012

Tuesday Tea with Erin Kellison ~ Inklings of new possibilities ( @EKellison )

Hi all! Grab a cup of tea – or whatever it is you like to drink – and join in the discussion. Today we have Erin Kellison visiting and giving us a look into her writing. She's also a featured author at Arizona Dreamin' - Arizona's first romance-reader event! http://arizonadreamin.wordpress.com/
About our guest...
    Erin Kellison is the author of the Shadow Series, which includes Shadow Bound, Shadow Fall, Shadowman, and the e-novella Shadow Touch. Stories have always been a central part of Erin's life. She attempted her first book in sixth grade, a dark fantasy adventure, and she still has those early hand-written chapters. She graduated summa cum laude with a degree in English Language and Literature and went on for a masters in Cultural Anthropology, focusing on oral storytelling. When she had children, nothing scared her anymore, so her focus shifted to writing fiction.

She's here today to tell us about her Shadow Kissed series. Welcome Erin!

First, thank you to Chris for having me here today on her blog and for hosting the authors of Arizona Dreamin’. Chris, you’re awesome!
    I like to think that I have decent self-discipline. Anyone who writes books has got to have their fair share. But I also consider myself to be easily distractible. The internet, laundry, celebrity gossip—I fight distractions every day. But the absolute worst (and best) kind is another idea for a story. It usually happens at the beginning of book (when I am still working out the kinks and I think maybe this other story would be better) or at the end, when I know the rest of the story so well that there are no more surprises for me.
    I was at the end of writing Shadowman, the third in my original Shadow series, when the idea for Fire Kissed started burning in my brain. I write dark fantasy mixed with modern fairy tale. But for Fire Kissed I wanted to add a third layer—powerful families whose structures and practices leaned toward the old world. I had only the kernel, no real story in place, but I was excited to play with it.
    I finished the manuscript for Shadowman, turned it in. And began the work on what would become Fire Kissed. The idea took over my day dreaming. I’d accost my husband with mini brainstorms. He’d nod while I jabbered at him, then instruct me to go write this or that idea down. (I have a habit of having epiphanies, then forgetting them.) The world-building is fun, but for me, there is little point writing anything down until I have my characters. Once I know my hero and heroine—who they are and basically where they are going—then I can write.
    And so I give you Fire Kissed, book one in my Shadow Kissed series, a spin-off of my original Shadow world. It releases July 1, but I’m crossing my fingers for early copies to give out during my Arizona Dreamin’ book clubs. I am so excited I can’t wait.


Blurb:
Fae Fire
    It is Kaye Brand's power to wield. But outcast from her kind, she's been selling herself to the highest bidder - money for her survival in exchange for a magic glimpse into the flames of the future.

Angel Ice
    One of the angelic Order, Jack Bastian has no use for a female like Kaye, as provocative and unexpected as her blazing beauty. Yet he has no choice but to hire her to uncover the secrets of his sworn enemy and her former fiance, Ferrol Grey.

Magekind
    War is inevitable between the defenders of the Order and the mage Houses who threaten to engulf the world in Shadow. For Jack, mage-born Kaye is off limits, no matter how hot the impossible attraction between them. But in the coming darkness, beset by danger and desire, everything is about to change...


Excerpt:
    “That won’t be necessary,” Jack said. Though he could read human minds easily, Kaye’s was a complete and utter blank, like all of the soulless mage-born. But he knew human nature well enough. If he remained at ease, she wouldn’t burn him. Most likely.
    Pillow lines creased one cheek. Her auburn hair was flat on that side as well, wavy on the other. Black eyes. Her legs were braced apart, athletic in their youth. The skirt was still rucked up high on her thighs. Her stance was full of fight, so the life she’d been leading hadn’t broken her yet. Very good.
    “Although historically I’m your mortal enemy--” Jack began. Mages, like the fae, had always defied Heaven. He added a smile to make the acknowledgment seem friendly. “Today, I’m your prospective employer, Jack Bastian.”


Please feel free to add/follow Erin at the links below:
Website: http://www.erinkellison.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/erin.kellison
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/ekellison

Thank you for joining us here today, Erin! It was a pleasure getting to know you and your work.

No comments: