Attention!

Thanks for visiting!
* When you see the * in my posts that just indicates a new line/paragraph. :)
* To see a lot of fun information, scroll through the side bars and to the bottom of the blog.

29 June 2012

Welcome special guest: author Danica Avet ( #FF @danicaavet @sirenbookstrand )

Today we have author Danica Avet visiting. Born and raised in Cajun country, Danica writes steamy, erotic paranormal romance that rivals the heat of a south Louisiana summer. She enjoys reading, watching football, and spending time with family when she isn’t writing about immortals or shapeshifters.

So, Danica, what inspired you to become a writer?
I always wanted to be a writer. I can distinctly remember writing a short story when I was seven that talked about my need to be in the entertainment industry. The first line went something like “Ever since I was young, I’ve always wanted to be in showbiz…” Like I was so old at seven! LOL

When did you attempt your first story? What length was it? What's become of it?
My mom bought me a typewriter when I was about fifteen and I wrote about fifty pages of a story about a girl who was kind of like Nancy Drew, except not as well written. I have no idea where that story went. I just remember I described absolutely everything she wore, places she went, and people she saw. Hello, huge paragraphs!

How many stories did you complete before you sold your first?
The first story I completed was the first story I sold. It took me several starts and stops before I told myself I had to finish something. Since then I’ve sold seven stories and have a million waiting to be written (and finished).

What genre(s) do you write in? What drew you to write in it/them? What’s your favorite genre of all to write in?
I write paranormal erotic romance. I didn’t intend to write erotic romance, mind you. It just so happens that I actually enjoy writing steamy love scenes. As for the paranormal aspect, I’m from south Louisiana. I grew up with ghost stories and swamp monster stories. As far as I’m concerned, writing paranormal romance is just a natural progression.

What are the best and worst pieces of writing advice you ever received?
The best piece of advice I’ve ever received was when a writer told me to never throw anything away because while it might not work for the story you’re writing now, you can always recycle and use it in another. I live by those words.
   I can’t say I’ve had terrible advice, but I’ve found that trying to force myself to follow plotting/writing techniques doesn’t help me at all. I feel stifled by rules and while I’ll attempt doing what I’ve learned in a workshop, in the end I do my own thing.


How do you celebrate/deal with acceptance/rejection letters?
The most fun I ever had with a rejection letter was one I’d written for myself. I figured if I was going to be rejected, I may as well have fun with it and wrote a ridiculous letter to myself that I still read now and then just to laugh. As for acceptances and deals, there’s a lot of screaming, squealing, calling everyone in my family, and finally a nice dinner out.

In regard to the book you’re promoting, which actor and actress do you envision playing the roles of your hero and heroine? If there’s a villain or other characters who are pertinent to the story, who would play those parts?
Wow, that’s such a tough question! My hero would have to be played by Joe Manganiello. Is it just me, or is he super fine? He’d make a perfect, sexy elf. As for my heroine, I think Charlize Theron would be an awesome Magda. She can be funny, sexy, and tough which is just how I see Magda.

The book you’re promoting, is it a stand-alone story or part of a series? If it’s part of a series, please list the order the books need to be read in for maximum reading enjoyment.
You Bet Your Banshee is the first book in my newest series, The Three Kingdoms. The three kingdoms are the monarchies that reign over Fairworld, another dimension. It consists of elves, fairies, gargoyles, banshees, goblins, pixies, etc. Pretty much anything you would expect to see in any fairy tale could be found in Fairworld. I’m not sure what sparked the original idea of Fairworld, except maybe my fascination with elves, fairies, etc. I blame Tolkien.
   I’m still working on the next book which will be titled Reaper’s Delight.


*** Now for some fun info… ***
Are you a cat, dog or both kind of person?
I have two cats (16 and 4) and one dog. I always thought I was a cat person, but when I picked up my Mia (dog), she stole my heart.

Which do you prefer: rain or sun & warm weather or cold weather?
Since I’m from south Louisiana where we only have three seasons: hot, hotter, and hottest, I prefer cold weather, or rather as cold as it gets down here. I wish winter lasted six months instead of maybe six weeks, LOL

What’s your favorite day of the week?
I’m all about Friday. That might be because my day job drives me insane, or it could be because I have a Fantasy Man Friday on my blog which gives me a chance to ogle beautiful men. *cough* Besides, Friday marks the start of two days away from the work week.

*** About the book… ***
~ Blurb ~
*What’s a banshee to do when she’s sentenced to death because of her inability to cry? Move to Earth and become a stripper, of course. For ten years, Magda O’Quinn has lived on Earth, supporting herself with her butt-shaking skills and hiding from the banshee queen who wants her death, before she discovers people are hunting her who won't stop until she's back in Fairworld.
*The first to find her is hunky Halfling, Ryvan Keller, an agent of the fairy queen. The attraction Magda feels for him is panty-wetting to be sure, but there’s no way she'll give in to her attraction and meekly follow him back into the hell of Fairworld. She’ll have to battle extreme lust for a sexy Halfling, fall in love, and defeat an evil queen before she can get back to the business of having a life again.
You Bet Your Banshee is nothing like I originally planned. At all. I’d never written a first person book before, Magda wasn’t anything like I imagined, the world was completely different than my original idea, and it was a lot shorter than I expected, but I had so much fun writing it, I don’t regret the detour my muse sent me on.
   You can find out more and buy a copy here: Bookstrand


***Find Danica here***
Website
Blog
Twitter
Facebook

Thank you for joining us here today, Danica! It was a pleasure getting to know you and your work.

CONTEST! Danica says, "I’m giving away one PDF copy of You Bet Your Banshee (The Three Kingdoms) to a random commenter. Just tell me what’s the sexiest song you’ve ever heard. The contest will run until midnight on July 5th. I’ll announce the winner on Friday, July 6th on my blog and in the comments section."

No comments: