Attention!

Thanks for visiting!
* When you see the * in my posts that just indicates a new line/paragraph. :)
* To see a lot of fun information, scroll through the side bars and to the bottom of the blog.

03 July 2012

Welcome special guest: author Nadia Scrieva ( @NadiaScrieva @GoddessFish )

Today we have author Nadia Scrieva visiting. Nadia is a peculiar Canadian gal who thinks that her Anthropology degree is best applied in understanding extraterrestrial and subterranean life forms. She has recently developed carpal tunnel syndrome from writing incessantly, and has had a long love affair with double-edged pointy objects. Writing has been the most meaningful part of her life since she was a child. Nadia loves receiving feedback from readers, so do not hesitate to contact her with any of your comments, questions, ideas, or just to say hello.

So, Nadia, what inspired you to become a writer?
It seemed a natural progression from reading. Stories all seemed magical and perfect, but the moment I became dissatisfied with a children’s book, I began to think I could do it better and needed to try!

When did you attempt your first story? What length was it? What's become of it?
I wrote my first story at age 6, and I still have it in a box of old mementos. It is safely tucked away with the stories I wrote at 7 and 8, and each was progressively longer. Ten pages, twenty pages, and hundreds of pages by the time I was ten.

How many stories did you complete before you sold your first?
I wrote dozens of stories and uploaded them onto the internet for feedback. I didn’t want to sell a novel until I was certain that I was good enough to warrant doing so.

What genre(s) do you write in? What drew you to write in it/them? What’s your favorite genre of all to write in?
I write fantasy novels, because that is what I most enjoy reading and experiencing. I love escaping to worlds where more is possible. Bending the laws of physics is fun!

What are the best and worst pieces of writing advice you ever received?
The best advice is easy: Write. I liked “write what you know” for a while, but then I decided that just writing, period, was more essential. The worst advice would have to be that one should write based on popular markets. When I write what I most want to write, the response is always better than when I try to force myself to work with a subject that doesn’t inspire me.

How do you celebrate/deal with acceptance/rejection letters?
By drinking myself into oblivion, of course! No, I generally try to avoid receiving rejection letters at all. Acceptance is celebrated by more writing.

In regard to the book you’re promoting, which actor and actress do you envision playing the roles of your hero and heroine? If there’s a villain or other characters who are pertinent to the story, who would play those parts?
I imagine Aazuria could be played by Emilia Clarke who portrays Daenerys Targaryen in Game of Thrones, or Saoirse Ronan from the movie Hanna. Trevain is more challenging! I immediately think of George Clooney.

The book you’re promoting, is it a stand-alone story or part of a series? If it’s part of a series, please list the order the books need to be read in for maximum reading enjoyment.
Drowning Mermaids, Fathoms of Forgiveness, and Boundless Sea are part of the Sacred Breath Series. The idea for the whole series was sparked while I was working on my other series in summer 2011, Thirty Minutes to Heartbreak. Mermaids are occasionally mentioned in passing as a joke or metaphor, and I considered exploring the myth further.

*** Now for some fun info… ***
Would you/have you own(ed) a snake or some other exotic pet?
Ideally, I’d love to have a dragon, but I would settle for a tiger.

Which do you prefer: rain or sun & warm weather or cold weather?
I enjoy the cold, because I love wearing fancy fur coats.

If you could live anywhere in the universe, where would it be and why?
Anywhere in the universe? Wow, well I would definitely choose somewhere off the planet, and I’d like to sample all the intergalactic hotspots carefully before making my decision. Ideally, a planet where they worship me and give me manservants.

*** About Nadia’s book/series… ***
My newest release is Paramount, the first of the Thirty Minutes to Heartbreak books. They are focused on fire just as strongly as the Sacred Breath series novels are focused on water themes.
But here's more on the first book, Drowning Mermaids, in the Sacred Breath series...
~ Blurb ~
   Deep under Arctic waters lies an ice kingdom carved into a glacier. Those who dwell within it possess magnificent biological secrets. Due to the dangers of impending war, the Princess of Adlivun is forced to flee her undersea utopia and regroup with her sisters in Alaska.
  Captain Trevain Murphy is a successful king crab fisherman who has spent his life building his empire above the sea, and knows nothing of the empire beneath it. When he meets a mysterious dancer whose father has recently died, he extends kindness towards her, unaware of her unique genetics and royal lineage.
   Trevain's attraction to the enigmatic Aazuria Vellamo will involve him in dangerous designs that will forever change his life, and his perspective on himself and his world. He embarks on perilous journeys in which he will need to release all of his insecurities and inhibitions in order to survive.

~ Excerpt ~
   When she could no longer rest her face on the frozen carpet, she forced herself to cease her sniveling and straighten into seiza. She was still on her knees, but not in the same pathetic way as before. She was on her knees not as a servant, but as an equal. Not as a beggar, but as a warrior. Aazuria closed her eyes. She imagined her organs untangling themselves from their knotted, jumbled mess and aligning themselves properly. She imagined the natural ease with which her breath and energy traveled through her body; all the channels which had been blocked with the rocks and lumber of anguish and the caulk of vitriol opened one by one as she willed it. She sat for hours more in long solitude and reflection, until she felt healed.
   She opened her eyes and saw the small sheet of ice on the carpet that had been created by her tears. She smiled at it, knowing that she had cried all the weakness and negativity out of her system. She looked up at her father’s body, and she smiled at him too.

Pick up Drowning Mermaids here: Amazon
Check out more about Paramount here: Amazon

***Find Nadia here***
WEBSITE
BLOG
FACEBOOK
TWITTER

Thank you for joining us here today, Nadia! It was a pleasure getting to know you and your work.

CONTEST! Nadia says, "I will giving away an eBook copy of Drowning Mermaids to one randomly drawn commenter at every stop. Readers! Follow the tour and comment; the more you comment, the better your chances of winning. The tour dates can be found here: Goddess Fish Promotions."

2 comments:

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thank you for hosting Nadia today

Jess said...

I would love to read more fantasy written by women authors! Thank you for hosting, and I'm glad to have been introduced to ms. Scrieva and her work!