Attention!

Thanks for visiting!
* When you see the * in my posts that just indicates a new line/paragraph. :)
* To see a lot of fun information, scroll through the side bars and to the bottom of the blog.

03 August 2012

Welcome special guest: author Kastil Eavenshade ( @PamBitner @evernightpub #FF )

Today we have author Kastil Eavenshade visiting. Kastil, who also writes sweet romance as Olivia Devereaux, is a slave to the corporate engine, toiling away in the labors of retail sales. In her spare time, and away from the constraints of her master’s whip, she finds pleasure in writing anything from fantasy to romance–which sometimes parallel each other.

So, Kastil, when did you attempt your first story? What length was it? What's become of it?
My first story started out in middle school. Like many of my earlier works, it never got finished. I’m sure it made it into the great abyss known as the trash can. Just as well. It was awful tripe.

How many stories did you complete before you sold your first?
That’s a toughie. Stories are never complete in my book. I honestly had a lot of unfinished novels, most still unfinished. I dabbled in short stories to wet my feet in the publishing world and most were challenges on a private message board. I had, maybe, five semi-polished works before I sold my first short story Fate Whispers. That one is on my blog now.

What genre(s) do you write in? What drew you to write in it/them? What’s your favorite genre of all to write in?
I’ll write any genre. My first published short was paranormal horror. Since then, I’ve done science fiction, fantasy, western, romance, erotica, historical—I’ll tackle almost anything. I actually started in erotic romance because of an anthology call and wanted to try it out. Love it! My favorite, however, is fantasy because there’s so much I can do with it. I even created my own world to write it in.

What are the best and worst pieces of writing advice you ever received?
You’ll never get anywhere without an agent has to be the worst. That may be true if you want to get into the big six publishers but I’m the type of gal that likes to build a reputation on small foundation pieces than to start out with a 100k novel to pawn like I’m Oliver Twist. The best advice is to hone your craft. Take everything into consideration when someone critiques your work and never get a swelled head. Stay humble.

How do you celebrate/deal with acceptance/rejection letters?
Rejection letters don’t bother me anymore. I know they’re part of the process of writing and to get all up in arms about a rejection isn’t worth it. I can shop it elsewhere or, if the rejection was personal, take into account what they said. The acceptances are easy. I let my mother know followed by the whole world via social media.

In regard to the book you’re promoting, which actor and actress do you envision playing the roles of your hero and heroine? If there’s a villain or other characters who are pertinent to the story, who would play those parts?
I never really thought about it so I did a google search. Sans the emo eyeliner, I’d say Jared Leto could be Talbot. Maybe Jamie Bamber for Maxime?

The book you’re promoting, is it a stand-alone story or part of a series? If it’s part of a series, please list the order the books need to be read in for maximum reading enjoyment.
Talbot’s Ploy is a standalone project. It blossomed from an anthology call. Once I figured the story was too grand to tell below 10k words, I expanded it with gusto. While I hadn’t planned a series, I’ve thought of a few more ideas to toy with the main character Talbot. While it’s not set in stone or even started, I fell in love with the rogue. He’s got too much to tell to box into one book.

*** Now for some fun info… ***
What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?
Only one? *sigh* I’ll go with Talenti Double dark chocolate gelato. It’s a contributing factor to the tightness of my jeans.

Are you a cat, dog or both kind of person?
Growing up, we had dogs. They were loveable companions. When I got married, however, the care a dog needs just wasn’t possible living in an apartment. I had to have a pet, it’s in my DNA. So I worked at a nursery at the time and a stray cat came along and had kittens. I took one. Rose stayed with me for 17 years before he went to his final resting place. Best.Pet.Ever.

Are you a morning person or night owl?
I love to stay up late. Sometimes, however, it’s not very productive when you have to work the next day.

*** About Kastil’s book/series… ***
Tagline: What would you do to get the one person you’ve loved most of your life to return your affections?
Blurb: Talbot Sauvageot has kept his wicked lifestyle underground for several years, going from one lover to the next. Decedent rake to females by day, passionate lover for his latest male companion at night. When he is forced to flee Paris or face the guillotine, Talbot realizes none of the men he has bedded over the past years burns at his soul like his dear friend Maxime LaRue.
~ Forced into seclusion in the forest of Bois de Lunor, he receives an invitation from Maxime for their yearly gathering at his estate in Varanguebec. One that Talbot has avoided the past few years. Refusing to submit to a life without love, Talbot schemes to discover if his childhood friend shares the same taste in pleasure as he.
~ Will Maxime submit to Talbot’s ploy or cast his friend in the shadow of death?
Interesting info: I decided that the setting for Talbot’s Ploy would be 18th Century France. I researched the clothing, some interesting French phrases, and what it was like for a gay male (and female) during this time in history. Even back then, they were persecuted and often put to death if caught in the ‘act’. I wanted that internal conflict for Talbot. Death for following the path his heart choose and to drag his friends with him? I tried to make a powerful statement without, I hope, sounding too preachy. Terminology was also important. I didn’t want to throw in a term that wasn’t in existence. For example, the term ‘homosexuality’ didn’t exist. Same with hanging versus the guillotine. It was interesting to find out that after the French Revolution, hanging was considered ‘barbaric’. Thought this tale became too big for the anthology, I’m glad I took my time and expanded it. I feel it gave a richer story than 10k words could ever do.
Blog-o-rama Tour of Decadence™ (Buy it here...)
Talbot's Ploy at Evernight Publishing
Talbot's Ploy at Amazon
Talbot's Ploy at All Romance Ebooks
Talbot's Ploy at Bookstrand

***Find Kastil here...***
Blog
Facebook
Twitter
Goodreads

Thank you for joining us here today, Kastil! It was a pleasure getting to know you and your work. Would you like to have a contest?

Thanks for having me! I’d like to give away a PDF copy of Talbot’s Ploy. To win, they can visit my Facebook page, ‘like it’, and comment on the wall post with the link to this guest blog. A winner will be chosen a week’s time and notified via FB private message.

No comments: