So, Leslie D. Soule, what/who inspired you to become a writer?
* I’ve always had a vivid imagination and an interest in creating stories. As a child, I was greatly influenced by J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis.
When did you attempt your first story? What length was it? What's become of it?
* I’ve been writing so long that it’s hard to tell when it first began. I’m currently editing one of my full-length stories from childhood though – it became the foundation and rough draft for my sci-fi novel Hybrid Space.
How many stories did you complete before you sold your first?
* I’ve written a lot of stories that have never made it to publication, so it’s hard to say. They’re all tucked in a drawer, ready to be dusted off and re-worked. I remember one of Stephen King’s writer characters used to do that and I’ve always thought it was a great idea. I think it’s the guy in Bag of Bones.
What are the best and worst pieces of writing advice you ever received?
* The best piece of advice I’ve received is to not give up and the worst is that you need an agent in order to get anywhere with your writing. You can absolutely do it yourself, and you don’t need an agent in order to get published. In addition, agents tend to be very difficult to get a hold of, and I can imagine, difficult to work with. I like to work with friendly people. Agents seem anything but.
The book you’re promoting, is it a stand-alone story or part of a series?
* This particular book is book two of my fantasy series, the Fallenwood Chronicles. It’s a quadrilogy and the order is as follows: Fallenwood, Forgetting Fallenwood, Betrayer, and Retribution.
What sparked the idea for the story/series?
* I was working retail at the time I started thinking about Fallenwood and it would get really boring, so to keep myself busy, I would create all of these characters and envision scenarios for them. I used to write on scraps of paper I’d stuff into my apron, and then I’d record them when I got home. It gave me something to look forward to each day.
*** Now for some fun info… ***
Would you/have you own(ed) a snake or some other exotic pet?
* Yes, I love snakes and I’ve owned a few of them. I will probably get another one at some point.
Which do you prefer: rain or sun & warm weather or cold weather?
* I hate cold weather. I much prefer to be warm. Sunny weather is nice, but so is rain. Either, as long as it’s warm out.
If you could live anywhere in the universe, where would it be and why?
* One of my friends posted this question on Facebook the other day, asking which door I’d go through and to what fantasy realm: Narnia, Westeros, Middle Earth, Wonderland, etc. I’d definitely live in Middle Earth, because I’ve always been interested in the world that Tolkien created and its languages and history and depth.
If you were stranded on a desert island and were only allowed to have five modern conveniences with you, what would they be?
* I’d like to think I’m a very practical individual, so here we go: 1. A jet-boat so I could leave the island. Me is smart. / 2. A harpoon, in case of sharks / 3. A fishing pole / 4. Water purification system / 5. A golden throne Why a throne, you ask? It’s a desert island. No one would see me on the throne. Well, I would still be able to sit on the throne, and look out over my island kingdom. If I’m stuck there, why not make it fun?
*** About Leslie D. Soule’s book/series… ***
* "The invisible bridge is a trap for the unwary. The clerks of the Tower are trying to kill you."
* Ash gasped at the realization of what she’d nearly done. She seated herself on the ground. "I’m so sorry. I need a moment."
* Greymalkin walked up and pressed his nose up to hers. Then he swiped her across the face with a paw. His eyes narrowed. "Who do you think you are—Indiana Jones?"
***Buy Leslie D. Soule's book here***
Amazon | Melange Books
***Find Leslie D. Soule here***
Website | Twitter | Facebook
Thank you for joining us here today, Leslie D. Soule! It was a pleasure getting to know you and your work.
ANNOUNCEMENT! Leslie will be awarding a $25 Amazon gift card to TWO randomly drawn commenters during the tour! So be sure to enter via the Rafflecopter below & also leave your name and email with a comment. In addition, visit the other tour stops (find them here: goddessfishpromotions-vbt-forgetting-fallenwood) for a greater chance of winning!
a Rafflecopter giveaway