2. Max is a rather accomplished chef. Which woman doesn’t love a man who cooks delicious meals for her?
3. Vivane Cross’ dog, Jolly, although a retriever, reminds me of the German Shepherd I had growing up
4. All the recipes in the book are tried and tested by me :)
5. The heroine’s (Piper Ingram’s) assistant, Jan, is based on a British lady I met last summer while at a dinner with my family
6. All the characters became close friends of mine throughout the course of the book
7. Every now and then I expect Max to just walk in through my front door and start talking to me
8. Two of the scenes I enjoyed writing most in the book: Max and Piper’s hot first kiss, and the scene where Max kicks a domestic abuser’s butt (then Piper shoots him)
9. I started writing the latest draft of this novel during NaNoWriMo 2014
10. Hunter Reese, one of the Valthreans, is based on a mix of two people I’ve known in the past
* After exacting his longed-for revenge, Massimiliano “Max” Damiani’s life is about to get more complicated when he is sent by the Valthrean Council to investigate the mysterious death of one of their Councilmen. Duty-bound to protect the victim's daughter and her young brother, the stakes are upped as Max and those around him become targets of a dangerous enemy. The Cult is closing in, threatening the future of their kind.
Fate is a cruel mistress…
* Piper Ingram’s existence is thrust into turbulent waters. Her father has been murdered in cold blood and she is now sole guardian to her little brother, Charlie. After years of helping others come to terms with their problems and move on to better lives in a domestic violence shelter, she now needs help protecting herself and her kin.
Salvation comes when we face our deepest fears…
* Max values his independence above anything. Meanwhile, this case brings him more trouble than he's bargained for, pushing his limits, and testing his fear of commitment. While striving to keep his personal demons at bay and holding on to his set ways, he fights his attraction to Piper, but he fast learns some things are not within his control. Will he save those entrusted in his care this time? And most importantly, will he finally find redemption ... and love? * Emotion welled inside her. “Thank you,” she croaked out. “No one’s ever done this for us. There was never any need.”
* “Again, it’s my duty to protect you. I didn’t anticipate that threatening note, and I don’t like surprises.”
* “Max, you really are a g—”
* “Stop!” Seemingly pulling the wrath out of thin air, he turned on her like a beast ready to consume her. An unholy fire spat from his eyes. What she’d said must have triggered flames from Hell itself to pop and explode in his brain.
* His face suddenly morphed to stone, giving her pause. For the first time, he scared her. Reaching her in one stride, he caught her again by the shoulders and shook her.
* “Stop saying that!” he growled. “I’m not a good man. I’m a man who lives how he wants, takes what he wants. And I want to do this right now.”
* Gathering her in a steel hold, he crushed his lips to hers. * Pink velvet and black lace. Light and darkness. A world of contrasts exists in Natalie’s stories because every rose has its thorn. Her favourite stories to write are romances with a dark edge featuring brooding heroes, strong heroines, an intriguing mystery, and a good dash of fantasy.
* Married, with one son, she now calls the beautiful island of Malta home after eleven good years in Atlanta, GA. As a professional editor and author, her days are always busy, but when she’s not working—or muttering to herself about her book plots like a batty old maid—she enjoys spending time with family and friends (both online and offline), sipping on a good shiraz, reading, cooking and entertaining, watching a good movie, travelling, and ogling shoe store displays. Most of all, she loves to meet and communicate with other authors and readers. Website | Facebook profile page | Facebook author page | Twitter | Google Plus | Pinterest | Amazon Author Page | iBooks | Goodreads | Find out more about Natalie’s latest news and works in her monthly newsletter Amazon - US | Amazon -UK | Amazon - AU | Amazon - CA | Smashwords
Thank you for joining us here today, Natalie G. Owens! It was a pleasure getting to know you and your story.