What would you like to tell readers about yourself?
* For years, college professor Olivia Fields has been writing romantic tales to pacify her muse and entertain her friends. She believes in making her characters work for their happy endings.
* When not at her keyboard, Olivia enjoys nature hikes, photography, and the constant companionship of several rather irregularly trimmed Shih Tzu dogs. Olivia’s first published novel, Her Heart’s Liege, will be released in March 2015 by Rogue Phoenix Press.
Today Olivia Fields will be talking about how she handles balancing life and writing.
* Life is writing! I feel much more myself, alive and happy and engaged, when I’m writing than I do when working my day job. Writing lets me express ideas I can’t always share at work, indulge and learn hobbies I don’t get to practice every day, and experience emotions, situations, and relationships that aren’t available to me in everyday life.
* That said, I do need to get up from my writing desk every now and then to move around, exercise, and oh yeah: earn money so I can afford to keep writing. I usually spend at least a couple of hours every day writing, whether it’s actually putting down words or just sort of percolating on how to do a scene I have coming up.
* Sometimes I get up early and write before work. Sometimes I write in the evening after work. I’m single and don’t have children, which helps give me the flexibility to rearrange my schedule to accommodate writing whenever the inspiration strikes. I do a lot of writing on weekends, as well.
* In some cases, there’s an opportunity cost: an event I chose not to attend, an afternoon drive I didn’t go on. But there are always compensations, especially the satisfaction of having done something that will become an actual lasting physical result of my hard work.
* Sometimes when I have a deadline at work and don’t have time to write, or if I choose to do something outside the house instead of writing, my characters get very impatient with me. They ride around in the back of my mind complaining about having to wait and telling me what they’d like to be doing instead. I love that feeling, though. That means the story is a good one, with enough power and interest to take on a life of its own.
* Alex walks a difficult line, trying to balance her growing attraction to Prince Holden with her dedication to duty and her responsibility to keep him safe from robbers, Danes...and even himself. But when they are drawn into the struggle to defend East Anglia from occupation, both the prince and his captain must grow. Can spoiled Prince Holden evolve into a good man who could lead the kingdom--one Alex can trust with her heart?
* His arms slipped around her, slow but firm, his palms gliding over her waist to rest on her back. His tongue touched hers tentatively, then stroked along her lower lip, sweet and slow.
* She let him adjust her until he was comfortable, pulling her close, and after a moment she kissed him back. She would be quite churlish not to, really.
* He tasted of smoke and the sweet masculine savor she remembered from before, but without the added taste of ale this time. His hands caressed her back as their mouths touched, parted, and touched again. His breath blew warm on her cheek and his lips teased gently at her. He suckled first at her lower lip.
* He was good. Much better than good. For a moment Alex might almost imagine she hadn't escaped the stable, and she was going up in flames. Except this fire was made of pure, aching sweetness, and her hands were curving behind Holden's head, pulling him closer. The angle was awkward, so she moved, raising herself, and put her leg over his other thigh, seating herself firmly across his lap. Her breasts pressed against his chest. She kissed him thoroughly, deep, unhurried, and warm.
* The kiss slowly faded, leaving them breathless against one another's faces, noses touching and bodies pressed sweetly close. "Thank you for saving me," Alex said, her lips brushing his. "I'm sorry I hit you. I was confused and frightened."
ANNOUNCEMENT! Olivia Fields will be awarding $25 Amazon or B/N GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour! So be sure to leave a comment AND use the Rafflecopter below. Also, visit the other tour stops for a greater chance of winning!
a Rafflecopter giveaway