What would you like to tell readers about yourself?
* Naomi likes writing, perfume, fancy tea, and unfathomable monsters from the dark spaces between the stars, not necessarily in that order. She has been writing stories ever since she learned how to write, but is still trying to master the art of biography writing. When she's not dealing with werewolves, demons, or sea monsters, she's hanging out with her cat and probably watching a documentary about Bigfoot. If the cat isn't available, she's with her fiancé watching cookery shows and silently plotting her next book.
What are you going to tell us about today?
* It's probably no secret that I love shapeshifters, but normally I stick with werewolves. What can I say, I'm a traditionalist when it comes to these things! For THE SEA WIFE though, I branched out. It's impossible to be a fan of folklore and mythology and not know about selkies. There are loads of different stories surrounding these seal shifters, but I think probably the best-known is the idea that, if a man steals a seal-woman's skin, she's trapped and forced to become his wife. It's a sad story, but then, romantic tragedy seems to be a key element of selkie lore.
* In THE SEA WIFE, I wanted to play on that element, but hopefully you won't find Charley and Nessa's story too sad! I like a little hope and happiness in my love stories after all!
* They didn’t need words to greet each other, not really. They’d been meeting in this cave since Charley was fifteen. They’d been kissing since she was sixteen. Nessa slid her hands into Charley’s hair, freeing the messy red waves from the loose knot she’d tied them in. Nessa’s fingers trailed down Charley’s throat as they kissed, then down to grab the hem of Charley’s t-shirt. They broke the kiss briefly so Nessa could pull the t-shirt off and toss it aside. She fumbled with Charley’s bra, as she always did, and Charley giggled, as she always did, and slipped it off for Nessa. That too, was tossed away carelessly.
* Charley skimmed her hands down Nessa’s bare back, relishing the little shivers she caused. She pushed away Nessa’s heavy locks and kissed the curve of her neck, licking drops of seawater from her skin while Nessa cupped Charley’s breasts and ran her fingers round her nipples. Charley sighed, burying her face in Nessa’s hair and soaking up her light, delicate touches. They’d been apart too long and she needed Nessa with an urgency that wouldn’t settle for light or delicate. She slid her arms round Nessa’s waist and pushed her to the blanket. She stood quickly, hopping like an idiot to kick her jeans off, and Nessa watched her with barely-contained laughter.
* “If you just didn’t bother with clothes at all…”
* “I’d be arrested for public indecency and you’d never see me again.” Charley dropped to her knees beside Nessa, trailing her fingers over Nessa’s stomach and down between her legs.