What would you like to tell readers about yourself?
* Gerhard Gehrke studied ﬁlm at San Francisco State University. He wrote and produced several shows for community television. His Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror short stories have appeared in several publications, including an Editor’s Choice-winning short story at AnotheRealm.com. A Beginner’s Guide to Invading Earth is his ﬁrst novel.
* You can connect with him at Gerhardgehrke.com.
Today Gerhard Gehrke will be talking about what sparked the idea for the story/series.
* A Beginner's Guide to Invading Earth began in my work truck's notebook with the line “No one likes them very much.” That line was to be the conclusion reached by aliens intent on first contact who landed the USA and decided to try other parts of the planet after some unfortunate experiences. This developed into the aliens wanting nothing to do with the entire planet and them hanging a virtual “Do Not Disturb Occupants” sign on our doorknob. As I fleshed this out over a few months I decided a smaller story that focused on one man's experience as a scapegoat for an alien conspiracy that was trying to make first contact fail just felt better. By then I had a rough idea on where I wanted the project to go, and the aliens would have to be part of it.
* This left me with a few science fiction tropes I wanted to explore and have fun with. One deals with how so often communication among different aliens and between aliens and humans happens automatically. When I considered the possibilities for mistakes when such translation work relies on less-than -perfect technology, I knew this could be an element in spelling doom for aspiring alien diplomats.
* What further fueled the story is my background. I was weened on a heavy diet of comic books and cheesy science fiction and monster movies. As reading books came into the picture I started writing my own stories in a notebook for no one else to read but me. This blossomed during grade school into making Pac-Man comic books, which included a heavy dose of vampires and Shogun Warriors to please my fellow collaborators. Getting involved in local community television and studying film at San Francisco State University introduced me to actually finding an audience for things put down on paper, even though most of what we worked on was non-narrative in structure. Writing fiction continued from all of this.
* Was it an accident, sabotage, or murder? And why is everyone blaming Jeff?
* The extraterrestrials aren’t waiting for answers. They want revenge. And Jeff isn’t ready for company.
* His only hope is an outcast mechanic from another world and a woman who might do anything to get off planet, including selling out her own kind. Jeff has to get to the bottom of why there are so many alien bodies piling up and who is really responsible.
* A science ﬁction adventure novel, A Beginner’s Guide to Invading Earth tells the story of a reclusive ex-computer programmer who is the unwitting central ﬁgure of a plot to keep humanity from ever making ﬁrst contact.
* “Hi,” Jordan said to the Grey.
* It hadn’t seen her approach. It was too focused on the brawl. Jordan punched the short alien. The Greyʹ s head snapped back, and its big eyes fluttered. The Grey crumpled, its weapon flying out of its hand. Before it lost consciousness, it released the scent of rotten eggs.
* “And here I thought you liked me,” Jordan said.
* Meanwhile, Oliop jumped on Whistle and latched onto her head with arms and legs and tail, blinding her. She grabbed at him. When she did, the remaining Clyptus struck at her. They moved over their stomped, battered, and torn companions and stabbed away at the rocky creature. Their darts and stickers poked uselessly at her hardened exterior. Some shot her with their energy weapons, but the yellow beams did nothing. All the while, Jeff wrestled and clawed at Whistleʹ s thick arm, but he couldʹ t break free.
ANNOUNCEMENT! Gerhard Gehrke will be awarding a $10 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour will be awarding a $10 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour! So be sure to leave a comment AND use the Rafflecopter below. Also, visit the other tour stops for a greater chance of winning!
a Rafflecopter giveaway