What would you like to tell readers about yourself?
* DJ Davis is a Colorado native and the rugged high country sets the scene for her stories. When she's not writing, she can be found hiking with her dogs, photographing the wildlife, or camping with her husband. A Great Dane runs her life.
* A portion of each sale of her novel "Courageous Cain" will be donated to Big Bones Canine Rescue in Windsor, Colorado. Help us help big dogs in need.
Today D.J. Davis will be talking about what sparked the idea for the story.
* Hi and thanks for having me. SUMMER STAR came about as a progression of ideas. My stories are set in the mountains of Colorado, because I’m set in the mountains of Colorado. The peaks, the elements, the wildlife, and the heart of the landscape are in my blood. I had my setting, now I needed a hero.
* I’m fascinated by the history here: mining, homesteading, railroaders, ranching. I love hiking and exploring ghost towns. Finding the crumbled, rotting remains of a forgotten cabin in a remote area is always a thrill. But it leads to many questions. Who built it? Was he a prospector, hoping to strike it rich. Perhaps a trapper or a homesteader. Stumble across a twisted piece of leather from a child's shoe, or a broken china cup miles from anything. Who owned it, what their lives were like? How did it come to be here? That desire to know led to the idea of creating a modern day character who could touch certain things and see the past, as I often wish I could. And so, Troy Hart was born—a psychic with visions of the past and an attitude that just won't quit.
* The next step came from a lesser known piece of Colorado history: The Jim Reynolds gang, their bold plans to burn and sack Denver during the Civil War, and their stolen loot—to the tune of $65,000—which they buried above the present day town of Conifer.
* These men lived hard and died hard. Which led to another question. What if a man’s life came to a savage end, but his spirit refused to let go of his dream? A century and a half later, along comes Troy Hart. After all the years of suffering alone, here’s someone who can hear the ghost’s pleas, but Troy chooses not to. The ghost used threats and brute force to get the things he wanted in life, would he not do so in death?
* The next element was love, because let’s face it, a little romance makes life worth living. Troy Hart finds love and treasure in the mountains and along the way he discovers that some things transcend death. Those lessons learned were the final piece of the novel.
* Well, the next story is beckoning. A heroine this time, I think. It's time to head for the mountains and find her story.
* Troy’s visions of the old west are all fun and games, until the ghost of an outlaw forces Troy to fulfill his dying wish. To save his own life, and the life of the woman he loves, Troy must follow the trail of greed, betrayal and revenge on a treasure hunt for lost Civil War gold.
* Now the fun is over and the game is survival as Troy battles the elements, a dead man, and his own heart deep in the remote high country.
* Troy sprinted to the cabin. He threw his canteen, a few bottles of water, beef jerky, and candy bars into his pack. He added two flashlights, batteries, and Eric’s hardhat. He rushed to the tipi for a denim jacket and the map. The piece of oiled canvas, made to be laced over a sleeping bag in bad weather, caught his eye. He pushed it down on top of everything else.
* He shined the light into the trees, hoping beyond hope to see Eric’s tent. It was gone, all that remained was a smooth spot on the ground. Troy put a hand on Dean’s shoulder. “Wait here.”
* “Screw that. I love her, too.” Dean put his own hand on Troy’s shoulder and squeezed it hard. “Let’s go get her, bro.”
* Troy gave Dean the second flashlight and set off at a grueling pace. It wasn’t long before he could no longer hear Dean behind him or see Dean’s light bobbing in the dark timber. His jaw hurt and a stitch nagged in his ribs. His bear-bit hip joined the chorus. He thought of Summer in crazy Charlotte’s jealous clutches and pushed himself harder. Troy Hart ran for her life.
ANNOUNCEMENT! D.J. Davis will be awarding a $25 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour! So be sure to leave a comment AND use the Rafflecopter below. Also, visit the other tour stops for a greater chance of winning!
a Rafflecopter giveaway