Attention!

Thanks for visiting!
* When you see the * in my posts that just indicates a new line/paragraph. :)
* To see a lot of fun information, scroll through the side bars and to the bottom of the blog.

01 February 2011

Welcome Special Guest: author RM Sotera

Please welcome author, RM Sotera! R.M. Sotera is a romance vixen stuck in the body of a prim and proper woman. A transplant to Las Vegas, by day she is a wife, mom, taxi driver, counselor, and psychologist to her wild and, at times, crazy friends. But when the family goes to bed and the house is dark, she seeks refuge in her office where her deepest and sometimes darkest desires take hold. And…ultimately a story is born. She’s here today talking about her life as an author and her recent release, Dirty Valkyrie, the third book in her Viking/Vampire series of books.
I’ve had the pleasure of reading the stories and found RM has a talent for adding humor and sploshing in her tales making them fun to read. Gods, Goddesses, Vampires…Immortality has never been so sexy!

So, RM, what inspired you to become a writer?

My imagination needed a place to come alive, thus on the pages of a book I can make this happen.  I’ve always kept diaries and journals, so for me writing has always been a part of my life.
When did you attempt your first story? What length was it? What's become of it?
My first book was over 100,000 words, and I attempted and finished it while attending graduate classes.  I needed something else to concentrate on besides academic journals and books, and I had a story that was itching to be told.  The book has been revised and edited several times, and sent to several agents. As of the time of this interview the manuscript has over 60 rejection letters to its name.  And I’m damned proud of them!
How many stories did you complete before you sold your first?
Many.
What genre(s) do you write in? What drew you to write in it/them? What’s your favorite genre of all to write in?
I write paranormal romance with erotic elements.  I also have a humorous streak to my work.  I’ve written contemporary, however, I’ve found that manuscript extremely hard to sell. I’ve always loved vampires, witches, and things that go bump in the night, which is why paranormal romance is my favorite. It totally suits me.  I am working on a young adult that I hope to finish by the end of the summer. My favorite genre is paranormal, hands down.
What are the best and worst pieces of writing advice you ever received?
Let’s see…the best advice I received was to never give up on the dream if it’s what you really want to do, and to grow a thick skin. Also, to make time everyday to write, even if only for a short amount of time.  And, don’t quit my day job hastily, wait to see what transpires.
The worst piece of advice…
I’m still waiting for the worst advice.  To be honest, I hope it never comes.
How do you celebrate/deal with acceptance/rejection letters?
I’ve become quite the connoisseur with rejection letters.  I can honestly say that at first, they devastated me.  However, I started to get pissed after the 10th letter and decided that for every rejection I received I would send out 3 more query letters. Yeah…I’ve grown some thick skin and I keep moving forward. How did I celebrate when my first book, Dirty Dancer, was published by eXtasy?  I jumped up and down in the privacy of my office, then had lunch with two of my favorite people. Seeing my words and name in print has been a dream come true. And I can honestly say…it keeps getting better. I love being optimistic, so I believe the best is yet to come!  Every night before I go to bed, I hum the words to Don’t Stop Believing by Journey; it’s this writer’s lullaby. :)
Which actor and actress do you envision playing the roles of your hero and heroine? If there’s a villain or other characters who are pertinent to the story, who would play those parts?
Dirty Valkyrie:  If I had to envision the actor to play Laurent Bovier, vampire extraordinaire, it would have to be Ian Somerhalder who plays Damon Salvatore on the Vampire Diaries, and for Brandi Lui it would be actress Katie Holmes.
Is Dirty Valkyrie a stand-alone story or part of a series? What sparked the idea for the story/series? If it’s part of a series, please list the order the books need to be read in for maximum reading enjoyment.
Dirty Valkyrie is part of a series, and the third installment.  My love for Norse mythology and vampires sparked the idea, and it pretty much snowballed after that. After writing the first book, Dirty Dancer, I found it impossible to keep the characters that I created silent.  They kept me up all hours of the night, and woke me all hour hours of the morning until I got the stories they wanted to share on paper.  
I can honestly say that each time I’ve finished with one of the books, a sadness has passed through me because I can’t say goodbye to these characters. Jett, Laurent, Sophia and Brandi have many more adventures ahead of them.  I can feel it in my bones.
:) The books should be read in the following order:   Dirty Dancer, Dirty Deed, Dirty Valkyrie
Now for some fun stuff…
What’s your favorite color?
My favorite colors are red, black and grey.  I like black the best even though it’s not considered a color.
What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?
Say what? Forget the ice cream I’ll take the jar of cherries instead. And I’d like to place them all over… ;)
Are you a morning person or night owl?
I am a morning person. And sometimes a night owl.  I’m up by 5 am daily, and I can usually be found at my computer typing away at some story.  I do my best writing in the early, early hours of the day.  My muse, Styxx, loves to wake me at 2 AM.
About RM’s latest release and where to find her online
Dirty Valkyrie is the love story between Norse Valkyrie demi-goddess Brandi and vampire Laurent Bovier.
Two different types of immortality equal one unique love affair.
Brandi Lui has come to terms with her Valkyrie demi-goddess heritage and she’s all right with it.  But when it comes to falling in love, she’s determined to have a man with a mortal pulse. That is until she re-unites with a Frenchmen from New Orleans with an appetite for everything Valkyrie.
Laurent Bovier, a breathtaking Master vampire, sets his sights on Brandi only to have his uncontrolled passion for her cause him problems. He commits the worst discretion known to the vampire community, taking the life of a Sire-Guardian’s property. For his crime, the Sire-Guardian wants Laurent to kill Brandi. Will love conquer all or will an immortal hunger change their lives forever?
This book should be read after Dirty Dancer and Dirty Deed.


Dirty Valkyrie and her other titles can be purchased through www.extasybooks.com
Readers can learn about RM Sotera by checking out her website at www.rmsotera.com, her blog at http://rmsotera.wordpress.com/ and facebook at http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100000770194028

Thank you so much RM for taking the time to do the interview and sharing your stories and writing life with us!
Blog Readers: Comment & be put in February's drawing! Details here: http://crmoss.blogspot.com/p/contests-free-books.html

5 comments:

Rene Broux said...

Great Blog! I enjoyed learning about R.M.Sotera and now MUST go buy her books!

Lynnet Shannan

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by! Glad you enjoyed the blog.
=)
C.R. Moss

She said...

Nice interview. I love the covers of your books. They are great and eye-catching. Makes me want to pick them up, blurb unread.

smg5775@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by, She. I'll make sure the author sees your comment so she can pass your compliment on to the cover artist.
=)
C.R. Moss

RM Sotera said...

This is RM. Thanks to all who commented on my interview, and a special thanks to CR for allowing me a chance to shine...:)

Happy Reading!!!!!!