Attention!

Thanks for visiting!
* When you see the * in my posts that just indicates a new line/paragraph. :)
* To see a lot of fun information, scroll through the side bars and to the bottom of the blog.

07 October 2011

Welcome special guest: author JJ Ranger

Today we have author, JJ Ranger, visiting. JJ Ranger began her writing career in May of 2009, spurred on by the creation of a sexy cowboy. She loves to read and watch movies for inspiration, but more than anything she loves creating worlds of her own.

* So, JJ, what inspired you to become a writer?
A haunted dude ranch and a hunky cowboy for inspiration.
* When did you attempt your first story? What length was it? What's become of it?
My first erotic story was intended for Harlequin’s Spice Brief line. The length was just over 5000 words. It was rejected—rightly so because the hero bored even me. It still sits in my ‘to be fixed’ pile. Someday I will gather the courage to unearth the mess of words and make it pretty enough to submit somewhere else.
* How many stories did you complete before you sold your first?
Two, including the first sold.
* What genre(s) do you write in? What drew you to write in it/them? What’s your favorite genre of all to write in?
JJ Ranger only writes erotic. I officially decided to write erotic romance during a writer’s retreat. I was bouncing ideas of one of the editors and my friend, CR Moss, when the idea for Dume Ranch popped into my head. Dustin Dumen was born.
* What are the best and worst pieces of writing advice you ever received?
Best piece of advice was to write what I love. That love will shine through to the reader. Worst piece of advice was to not write unless guaranteed to sell.  Where’s the fun in that?
* How do you celebrate/deal with acceptance/rejection letters?
When I received the acceptance letter for Dustin’s Gamble, I admit I was stunned. I couldn’t believe the editor liked the story. I mean, I was an erotic writer virgin, so I expected the rejection.  When the acceptance truly sank into my brain, I squealed and danced around the office. When rejections come, especially the personalized letters that give feedback, I soak up the suggestions. Maybe the editor can tell me how to improve. If they only give me a form rejection, that’s okay too. Every rejection is a step closer to getting published.
* In regard to the book you’re promoting, which actor and actress do you envision playing the roles of your hero and heroine? If there’s a villain or other characters who are pertinent to the story, who would play those parts?
Hmm, I think for Dustin I would like to have Michael Weatherly (Tony from NCIS). He’s the perfect smooth charmer, and I love his sexy smile. For Shannon, I think I would pick Holly Marie Combs. She could keep Dustin in line quite nicely.
* The book you’re promoting, is it a stand-alone story or part of a series? If it’s part of a series, please list the order the books need to be read in for maximum reading enjoyment.
Dustin’s Gamble is Book 2 in a four-book series. Again, this series came from a brainstorming session with an editor and a good friend.  To date, the books available in the series are Deacon’s Touch by Callie Croix, and Dustin’s Gamble by JJ Ranger.
*** Now for some fun info… ***
* Are you a cat, dog or both kind of person?
Both. Though cats seem to have attitudes that match my own. I socialize when I want, but I like being aloof. Pet me when it’s my idea, otherwise go away. :)
* Which do you prefer: rain or sun & warm weather or cold weather?
I so love thunderstorms and snow. I can’t handle too hot because it makes me physically sick.
* Are you a morning person or night owl?
I am a mid-day girl. I wake up around 10:00am and then feel like I’m ready to crash by 3:00pm.

*** About JJ’s book… ***
Blurb:
After leaving for a career in NYC, Shannon Piermont has come home to Bandera, Texas. Her cousin is getting married and her grandmother has died, but all she can think about is Dustin Dumen. The sexy ranch owner had once been able to charm her pants off, but not this time. Just because they’d once shared a passion hotter than the Texas sun, didn’t mean she’d settle for barefoot and pregnant in a one-horse town.
Dusty knew Shannon couldn't settle down until she'd seen the world and he'd taken a huge chance she'd find her way home. Now that she has, the stakes are higher and he'll do whatever it takes to keep her there. He’d gambled with their love once--he won't do it again.
Can Dustin convince Shannon she can have it all—a career and a family—or will he have to settle for one last ride of passion?
Excerpt:
     Drawing in a deep breath, she raised her hand and pressed the doorbell. She waited for two minutes and then hit the button again. She leaned her forehead against the oak door and tried to calm her ever present nerves. How would Dustin react when he saw her? Did he really know she was coming? And what would he think when he found out she intended to stay for good?
     “Guess nobody’s home,” she mumbled.
     The door swung open, and she lost her balance with a startled squeak. She reached out to grab something, anything to stop her descent, and latched on to a pair of denim-clad hips. The material slipped down and with it, she landed on her knees, face-planted against a very masculine crotch. The tip of his cock peeked from the front of his red plaid boxers. Heat flooded her belly and moisture pooled in her panties in response to his arousal. The familiar scent of leather and sandalwood tickled her nose.
     Dustin. Memories of a night over a decade ago filled with sweat-lathered bodies on the bank of the creek swam before her eyes. She shivered. All it would take was the slightest turn of her head and…
     “Not that I’m complaining about your enthusiasm, honey, but you’re a little too far to the left,” a familiar, deep masculine voice teased.
     She looked up into Dustin’s amused face. That crooked grin hit her in the gut with lust so fierce she wanted to toss away caution and jump him right there. Mortified, she pushed away and leapt to her feet. Dammit, of all the impressions she could have made, falling face first into his cock was not the way she intended to go.
     Heat burned in her cheeks. “Dillon needs you at the lodge.” She turned on her heel.
     “Wait.” He gripped her hand. “Aren’t you going to say hello or anything?”
     Shannon shook her head, keeping her gaze locked on the safety of the door. “I can’t talk to you with your…your thing exposed. Pull up your pants, for God’s sake.” Only he could make her feel like a blushing virgin.
     His laughter vibrated through her breasts, and her nipples hardened against the lace of her bra. “Well, darlin’, my exposed thing never bothered you before. But if you insist…”
     The rustling of denim against skin teased her imagination and whetted an appetite she hadn’t known in a long time. She squeezed her eyes shut, blocking out the image of his cock saluting her.
     “You can turn around now.”
     Drawing in a deep, calming breath, she did. He’d fastened the button-fly of his jeans, much to her relief. But the exposed V of his pelvis was too distracting for her peace of mind. She focused above the waistline and on his face. Hazel eyes were emphasized by small lines around the edges. A strong jaw was softened by full lips. Gone was the boy she’d fallen in love with. In his place was a man who could very well destroy her if she let him get too close.
     “Hello, Dustin.” Shannon forced a smile and resisted rubbing her damp palms against her thighs. “Dillon asked me to let you know you are needed at the lodge.”
     His eyes smoldered, and the corner of his mouth kicked up. “So you said.”
     She gave a tight nod. “Right. Well.” She lifted a shoulder in an awkward gesture. “I had better get to the cabin. Have to get ready for tonight.” She swiveled toward the door. “Nice to see you, Dusty.”
     “Welcome home, Shay.”


***Find JJ here***
You can visit my blog at http://fantasycometolife.blogspot.com.
I am also on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/jjranger_author

Thank you for joining us here today, JJ! It was a pleasure getting to know you and your work.

No comments: