Attention!

Thanks for visiting!
* When you see the * in my posts that just indicates a new line/paragraph. :)
* To see a lot of fun information, scroll through the side bars and to the bottom of the blog.

27 December 2011

Welcome special guest: author Karyn Gerrard ( @KarynGerrard )

Today we have author Karyn Gerrard visiting. Her bio: Living in a small town in a corner of Ontario, Canada, I wile away my spare time writing, reviewing and reading romance. As long as I can avoid being hit by a runaway moose here in this wilderness paradise, I assume everything is golden. Originally from the east coast of Canada, I love to set my some of stories in the Maritime Provinces~Happily married for a long time to my own hero, a teacher that braves everything that is thrown at him. His encouragement keeps me moving forward.

* So, Karyn, what inspired you to become a writer?
I like to consider myself a storyteller first and foremost. I was the 12 year old at Girl Guide (Scout in the US) camp telling horror stories off the cuff around the campfire. In my teens, I started putting these stories to paper. Unfortunately, life got in the way and I didn't write for decades. A voracious reader, I only started reading romance about five years ago and started writing it at least three years ago. Imagine my shock at having a life-long dream come true. being published. Goes to show it's never too late to pursue your dreams.
* When did you attempt your first story? What length was it? What's become of it?
My first story was a historical at about 70,000 words. I sent it to a print publisher about 3.5 years ago. It was rejected, but they told me the story was good, just didn't fit their guidelines. It is in my editing queue. A large part of it needs to be reworked. That rejection letter gave me the fortitude to keep going. Someday, I will send it out again.
* How many stories did you complete before you sold your first?
I had three complete novel length manuscripts completed before I sold my first novella. Again, these three are in the queue, lol! I have a lot of serious editing to do, no mistake.
* What genre(s) do you write in? What drew you to write in it/them? What’s your favorite genre of all to write in?
So far I have a time travel, a paranormal and a contemporary published, I like to spread it around. I don't plan to write in any one genre. Historical fascinates me the most. I love the research when doing historical or historical characters. I also love the tortured heroes in paranormals. Ah hell, I love tortured heroes, period.
* What are the best and worst pieces of writing advice you ever received?
I don't know if I have ever received bad advice, if I did, I probably dismissed it. Besides the standard "write about what you know", the good advice was just get the story down, type 'the end', then goes back and edit. It is good advice. I follow it to the letter.
* How do you celebrate/deal with acceptance/rejection letters?
I haven't had that many of either yet, but I will say the second and third acceptances of contracts was just as exciting as the first! The rejection letter I did get, I handled it better than I thought I would. It was a nice letter; at least they didn't say I sucked. I usually open a bottle of wine (white) to celebrate a contract offer at least that is what I have been doing so far!
* In regard to the book you’re promoting, which actor and actress do you envision playing the roles of your hero and heroine? If there’s a villain or other characters who are pertinent to the story, who would play those parts?
Oh great question. I see Naomi Watts in a dark wig for my heroine, but she may be too attractive. My heroine borders on plain, but that doesn't matter in the movies!
For the hero, since Lucius Black is 6'5, I am going with Jared Padalecki from TV's Supernatural. Dye his hair black and he would be perfect.
My strong secondary character Wolfram, I see Henry Cavill in that role, though Henry is starting to get big movie roles, playing second fiddle may not appeal to him!

* The book you’re promoting, is it a stand-alone story or part of a series? If it’s part of a series, please list the order the books need to be read in for maximum reading enjoyment.
Well, I do have two sequels finished, if I ever get around to editing them and submitting, I hope they will see the light of day. The second story is about Lucius' half-vampire father and the third is about Lucius full-blood vampire grandfather. Editing and submitting these are on my to-do list in the new year.
*** Now for some fun info… ***
* What’s your favorite color?
Green! Must be the Irish in me.
* What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?
Butterscotch Ripple
* Are you a morning person or night owl?
I am sooooo not a morning person, for at least two hours when I get up, I am the walking dead. Until I drink copious amounts of tea.

*** About the book … ***
BLACK LUST BLURB:   Lucius Black lives a debauched and wild nightlife. Being a ‘Quarter’ (1/4 vampire), blood and sex are what he is. However, his existence wears thin after a century of hedonistic pleasure.
Trevina Patterson lives a quiet, happy life running a hair salon in a village on the east coast of the United Kingdom. It was a perfect life and all she could ask for, until a chance encounter with Lucius Black.
What was it about him that was so unsettling and yet so attractive?
For Lucius, no woman had ever been enough, until Trevina. She awakened in him feelings he had not thought possible. Passions considered by him to be little more than vampiric mythology. She awakened his...black lust.
CAN BUY AT:  http://www.evernightpublishing.com/black-lust-by-karyn-gerrard/

I had fun setting up my Shadow World, and I hope to continue with this series, lots of possibilities and directions I can go. One little tidbit, this was originally for a Halloween Anthology submission, Evernight said it would work better as a novella or novel. They were absolutely right. I expanded it from 9000 words to 28,000 and resubmitted and it was accepted!


***Find Karyn here***

Thank you for joining us here today, Karyn! It was a pleasure getting to know you and your work.

No comments: