Attention!

Thanks for visiting!
* When you see the * in my posts that just indicates a new line/paragraph. :)
* To see a lot of fun information, scroll through the side bars and to the bottom of the blog.

16 October 2012

A look at 'Wild West Hauntings' co-author: RM Sotera ( @rmsotera @evernightpub #writer #SO )

Today we have co-author of Wild West Weekend & Wild West Hauntings, RM Sotera, visiting. RM is a romance vixen stuck in the body of a prim and proper woman. A transplant to Las Vegas, by day she is a wife, mom, taxi driver, counselor, and psychologist to her wild and, at times, crazy friends. But when the family goes to bed and the house is dark, she seeks refuge in her office where her deepest and sometimes darkest desires take hold. And…ultimately a story is born. She’s here today offering some insight about her life as an author.

So, RM, what inspired you to become a writer?
My imagination needed a place to come alive, thus on the pages of a book I can make this happen. I’ve always kept diaries and journals, so for me writing has always been a part of my life.

When did you attempt your first story? What length was it? What's become of it?
My first book was over 100,000 words, and I attempted and finished it while attending graduate classes. I needed something else to concentrate on besides academic journals and books, and I had a story that was itching to be told. The book had been revised and edited several times, and sent to several agents. The manuscript had over 60 rejection letters to its name (and I’m damned proud of them!) before it was picked up.

How many stories did you complete before you sold your first?
Many.

What genre(s) do you write in? What drew you to write in it/them? What’s your favorite genre of all to write in?
I write paranormal romance with erotic elements. I also have a humorous streak to my work. I’ve written contemporary. I’ve always loved vampires, witches, and things that go bump in the night, which is why paranormal romance is my favorite. It totally suits me. Though I am also working on a young adult, my favorite genre is paranormal, hands down.

What are the best and worst pieces of writing advice you ever received?
Let’s see…the best advice I received was to never give up on the dream if it’s what you really want to do, and to grow a thick skin. Also, to make time everyday to write, even if only for a short amount of time. And, don’t quit my day job hastily, wait to see what transpires. The worst piece of advice… I’m still waiting for the worst advice. To be honest, I hope it never comes.

How do you celebrate/deal with acceptance/rejection letters?
I’ve become quite the connoisseur with rejection letters. I can honestly say that at first, they devastated me. However, I started to get pissed after the 10th letter and decided that for every rejection I received I would send out 3 more query letters. Yeah…I’ve grown some thick skin and I keep moving forward. How did I celebrate when my first book was published? I jumped up and down in the privacy of my office, then had lunch with two of my favorite people. Seeing my words and name in print has been a dream come true. And I can honestly say…it keeps getting better. I love being optimistic, so I believe the best is yet to come! Every night before I go to bed, I hum the words to Don’t Stop Believing by Journey; it’s this writer’s lullaby. :)

*** Now for some fun info… ***
What’s your favorite color?
My favorite colors are red, black and grey. I like black the best even though it’s not considered a color.

What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?
Say what? Forget the ice cream I’ll take the jar of cherries instead. And I’d like to place them all over… :)

Are you a morning person or night owl?
I am a morning person. And sometimes a night owl. I’m up by 5 am daily, and I can usually be found at my computer typing away at some story. I do my best writing in the early, early hours of the day. My muse, Styxx, loves to wake me at 2 AM.

***Find RM here***
Website
Facebook
Twitter
Amazon Author Page

Join us at A Reader's Event in Las Vegas ~ Hot Mojave Knights

For a look at book 1 ~ Wild West Weekend & book 2 ~ Wild West Hauntings in the Double D Ranch Tales saga visit: DD Ranch Blog

Thank you for joining us here today, RM! It was a pleasure getting to know about you.

No comments: