Attention!

Thanks for visiting!
* When you see the * in my posts that just indicates a new line/paragraph. :)
* To see a lot of fun information, scroll through the side bars and to the bottom of the blog.

03 April 2015

Welcome special guest: author Jessica Coulter Smith ~ @kitcatjms @evernightpub #shifters

Today we have author Jessica Coulter Smith visiting.
What would you like to tell readers about yourself?
* I’ve had many jobs over the years, but not one of them was half as fulfilling as being a writer. Just the act of creating a story, putting the words to paper, brings me joy, but what really makes it all worthwhile is when someone else gets to read it and is allowed to escape from their lives for a short while. Knowing that I’ve made someone laugh, cry, and perhaps even sigh in pleasure, is the greatest joy of all.
* When I’m not writing, which isn’t often because quite honestly I’m obsessed, I enjoy spending time with my family and pets. There is one particular furbaby who is near and dear to me (and if you friend me on Facebook, you’re sure to catch a glimpse of him). In my downtime, I suppose I like what most people do – music, movies, books – but the books must always have a happily-ever-after. I can’t abide sad endings.

So, Jessica Coulter Smith, what/who inspired you to become a writer?
* I actually had no intention of becoming a writer, despite how much I’d loved my writing assignments in school. In 2008, I felt this driving need to put words to paper, and after a few days, I realized a story was unfolding on the pages. It took me almost three months, but when I was finished, I’d completed my first novel, the beginning of my Ashton Grove Werewolves series. Needless to say, that first story was addicting and I craved the feel of writing, needed it like a junky needs their next fix, and I’ve written nearly every day since then.

When did you attempt your first story? What length was it? What's become of it?
* My first story, originally titled Whispering Lake (and now called Moonlight Haunting) was over 80,000 words. I submitted it to a few places and received rejection notices, until a small press that was just starting out picked it up. That didn’t end so well, and that novel has had a few homes since then. Now it’s self-published along with 9 other stories in the series (a mix of novels and novellas).

How many stories did you complete before you sold your first?
* Just the one. I had already started the next story in the series when my first novel was picked up, but it would be a few months before I finished it.

What are the best and worst pieces of writing advice you ever received?
* The best writing advice I ever received was sit down and write, no matter what comes out. Even if you feel you have writer’s block, try a writing prompt, or free writing just to get you going. I don’t know that I’ve ever received bad writing advice. I’ve used all of it to some extent in one way or another.

The book you’re promoting, is it a stand-alone story or part of a series?
* Resisting the Alpha is part of a series, the 3rd in the Love Spell series. The first books are Witch Way to Love and Warlock’s Mistress.

What sparked the idea for the series?
* When I first started the series, I had planned for Witch Way to Love to be a standalone story. But I introduced characters I fell in love with and I wanted them to have a story as well. So one book has turned into three, and I’m not done yet.

*** Now for some fun info… ***
Would you/have you own(ed) a snake or some other exotic pet?
* I’ve never owned a snake and never would. I have, however, owned guinea pigs, ferrets, horses, rabbits, a bearded dragon, sugar glider, and your standard cats and dogs.

Which do you prefer: rain or sun & warm weather or cold weather?
* I like warm sunny days with a cool breeze. I don’t mind the temperature in the 70s, but once we hit 80s and higher, it’s getting a little too warm out for me.

If you could live anywhere in the universe, where would it be and why?
* Key West or Scotland. I know, huge difference. But I’ve been to the Florida Keys before and adored Key West. I didn’t want to leave. And Scotland…well, who doesn’t want to live in a place where men run around in kilts?

If you were stranded on a desert island and were only allowed to have five modern conveniences with you, what would they be?
* Kindle, laptop, cell phone, something solar powered that would charge all three, and my glasses so I could see.

*** About the book… ***
~ Blurb ~
* Bridget Donohue is beyond furious with the meddling alpha of the local wolf pack. He not only crashed her wedding, but scared the groom away. And for what? It isn’t like he’s ready to man up and claim her.
* Disgruntled by his attraction, Micah Smythe feels the pull but isn’t willing to bite. Bridget is irrational, mouthy, and temperamental. So why does his body respond every time she’s near? He’s declared her off limits, but the more time he spends with her, the harder it is to keep his hands to himself.
* Passion ignites between them, but Bridget refuses to give in to the wolf’s game of seduction. She’s determined to resist the alpha at all costs.
~ Excerpt ~
* “How could you…!” Bridget screamed into the wind as the storm raged around her, knowing damn well with his sensitive wolf hearing, she could have whispered. “You sent my fiancé running scared! We were about to say our vows, you asshole!”
* Bridget stood outside the church, her white dress feeling like it weighed fifty pounds as the rain pelted down, soaking her. A gust of wind wrenched off her veil and sent it into the nearby gutter, dirty water destroying it on contact.
* “You aren’t marrying him,” Micah said, a growl to his voice.
* “Why?” she asked, the anger draining away as her shoulders sagged. “Why would you ruin my life this way? I was happy, damn it!”
* “You don’t belong with him.”
* “I don’t belong with you,” she yelled. “Go back to your pack. You aren’t welcome in my life!”
* Bridget struck hard, making contact with his cheek. Holding her hand to her chest, she turned on her heels and stormed back into the church, the heavy doors slamming shut behind her. Five of the groomsmen formed a line, blocking Micah from following her. His hands clenched at his sides as he bared his teeth at them.
* “Move!” he demanded.
* The eldest of the groomsmen, a bear-shifter of some sort, shook his head. “You heard her. I think it’s time for you to leave.”
* Micah’s ears pricked as he listened for sounds inside the church. Over the crowd of wedding attendees, he heard Bridget crying. He hadn’t meant to upset her, but there was no way he could allow her to marry some random guy. She hadn’t even been with the loser more than a month. Who the hell married someone they’d only been dating a month? He would have stopped her sooner, but he’d only heard about the wedding that morning.
* “This isn’t over,” he told them. “You know I was right to stop the wedding. She doesn’t belong with that puny paper-pusher. She just thinks she wants a man she can control.”

***Buy***
Evernight Publishing | Amazon | All Romance eBooks | BookStrand

***Find Jessica Coulter Smith here***
Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Thank you for joining us here today, Jessica Coulter Smith! It was a pleasure getting to know you and your work.

1 comment:

Jessica Coulter Smith said...

Thank you so much for having me on your blog today! :)