What would you like to tell readers about yourself?
* Darkness and dark things have always fascinated for me. They always find a way into my story- so does anime. I’ve published eight horror and fantasy stories. You can find them all on Amazon. Chains of the Sciell is Book 2 of The Merging Worlds Series.
* Auden is a dark fantasy writer. As a kid, she created her own books by folding several construction papers in half and stapling them down the middle, adding her own illustrations. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t get away from writing. She holds a B.A. in English, a M.S. in Library and Information Science and she studied Creative Writing in England. She is a Research Assistant for Aubey LLC and currently lives in Brooklyn, NY- working towards her Masters in Publishing at NYU. Her short stories, No Vacancy, Clipped Wings and Welcome to My World and her novellas Visible Through Darkness and Shadows under the Light are now available through Amazon. The Sciell is her first novel. Chains of the Sciell will be released June 2.
So, Auden Johnson, what/who inspired you to become a writer?
* I’ve been writing since I was a kid. It’s always been a part of my life. I didn’t decide to get published until a couple of years ago. I got my masters in Information and Library Science and was trying to figure out a career path. I wanted to be practical, but writing kept coming to mind. I gave up fighting the dream and decided to publish my books.
When did you attempt your first story? What length was it? What's become of it?
* I wrote my first novel in middle school. Actually, elementary school. I used to write them on construction paper and draw my own images. I didn’t keep any of them. I think my parents have one.
How many stories did you complete before you sold your first?
* I don’t really know how many stories I’ve written before getting published. I wrote some well before I started keeping track. According to my novel and short story folder, I’ve written about 20 stories.
What are the best and worst pieces of writing advice you ever received?
* The best advice I received was to read everything, not just books in my own genre. Every story can teach you something about writing.
* The worst advice is something I’ve come across often and I don’t care for it. I’m a panster. I don’t do outlines, yet I’ve read advice that says you can’t write a good story unless you outline.
The book you’re promoting, is it a stand-alone story or part of a series?
* Chains of the Sciell is Book 2 of The Merging Worlds Series. The Sciell is Book 1. You don’t have to read them in order. The series is a family saga. Book 1 has a different cast than Book 2. Characters from Book 1 make an appearance in Chains of the Sciell.
What sparked the idea for the story/series?
* The Merging Worlds Series started as three standalone novels. As I was thinking about the stories, I realized they were set in similar worlds. The power system was also similar. So, I spent months merging the story lines. Then, Book 2 turned out to be longer than expected. I split it into two books. My trilogy became a four book series.
* I’ve never owned an exotic pet. I give my characters wild animals as companions because it would be interesting to have, like, a wild cat as a friend. I wouldn’t want one in real life. My dog is enough of a handful.
Which do you prefer: rain or sun & warm weather or cold weather?
* I love warm weather since I enjoy going for walks in the park and taking pictures. I do like a good thunderstorm as long as I’m in my apartment.
If you could live anywhere in the universe, where would it be and why?
* Tokyo because I love anime.
If you were stranded on a desert island and were only allowed to have five modern conveniences with you, what would they be?
* Portable generator, I’d be bored without some electricity. My laptop, which turns into a tablet, so I can get my writing on, read manga and ebooks and listen to music. I need my Nintendo 3DSXL to get my game on. I can’t do cold baths, so I’d need some hot water. I’d bring my camera. I could take some awesome pics on this deserted island
* How can they draw the power they need to survive? Their Lifeblood evolves. These beings can now see auras. Connections only existed between two beings. Now, these family bonds form between most Sciell. They can feel the other's need no matter the distance. If one is enraged, the other becomes infected with that same anger. They always have someone else in their heads. They share power.
* Divine Mathews, Josephine Royal, Blea and Aliceanna Carlton's connections told them they weren't alone. The connections felt like home. These four know they're different. They can do things...see things. They don’t know why. They become trapped inside MidnightPrysn- a twisted mansion created to keep them weak. Divine, Royal, Blae and Aliceanna finally meet those they're connected to. Only, they feel like they've met before.
* As Midnight Prysn's new residents regain their memories, they realize these connections aren't just a source of comfort. They can be chains.
* “Imagine your mind as a maze with many doors,” Kaige had said. “Behind each door is an attic of a house. Your goal is to reach the basement.”
* She appeared at the mouth of the maze. She was inside her mind. The first time she did this, it had taken a while to materialize her body as it actually appeared instead of how she wanted it to look. Even now, her breasts and hips were on the large side.
* Her Lifeblood didn’t reach for her. She called. It didn’t answer. Her power never disobeyed her. It forget the sound of her voice. If It knew the Sciell was calling, It wouldn’t ignore her.
* The air was toxic. The poison, it seemed, was supposed to affect their minds and it did. Maybe not the way their captor wanted. It created a thick raging wind. She had trouble seeing. This was her mind after all. She willed the wind to part. It did so, reluctantly.
* She sensed Divine behind her physical body. His shadow covered hers. He wrapped his arms around her neck, latching his mouth onto her skin. Royal controlled her desire to peel off his skin. Their minds melded. She relaxed. She was no longer Royal. He was no longer Divine. They were a different being who they hadn’t bothered to name. This wasn’t just her mind anymore.
ANNOUNCEMENT! Auden Johnson will be awarding a $30 Amazon or Barnes and Noble GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour! So be sure to leave your name and email with your comment AND use the Rafflecopter below. Also, visit the other tour stops for a greater chance of winning!
a Rafflecopter giveaway