What would you like to tell readers about yourself?
* Lola is a fool for a love story, a sucker for a cupcake, and let’s not talk about what she’d do for a Klondike bar. She enjoys long walks on the beach and movies that involve chainsaws. By day she’s the HR Lady and by nightfall she puts on a cape to become a romance writer.
Today Lola James will be talking about the best and worst pieces of writing advice she ever received.
* Geesh! That’s tough question! I knew nothing about the writing process when I started. I was just a reader but I had a creative side. I read a few books on how to write but I never thought it would be published. The worst advice I received was from an agent, she told me that my no one would be interested in Greek gods and I should write about something else. What she didn’t know, I fell in love with Greek mythology when I was a teen in high school and I was devastated that she thought no one wanted to read about the gods. Even though I was defeated, I kept writing and five books later here I am! I kept writing against what she said and here I am with a fun story about vampires, witches and Greek gods, Oh my!
* Which leads to my best advice… Self publish! I wanted to be a traditional writer like Jackie Collins or J.K. Rowling. But after that devastating criticism from the agent, I wrote a novella in a month, found an editor, a cover artist, joined a few book clubs and read a lot of blogs on how to self-publish. The few friends that knew I was writing, encouraged me to publish, and I did on October 28, 2012.
* Essentially, I took the worst advice and made it into the best advice. I was able to turn a negative thought into a positive accomplishment. The advice I would give any writer is to
take the bad advice and put a positive spin on it. If I listen to that agent I wouldn’t be here telling a short story about my life. I wanted to become a writer and I stayed positive and found a way to be what I wanted, a published writer. Now if I can only get to the top of Amazons best sellers list. ;)
* Smooches, Lola
* My melancholy thoughts broke as I heard my name being called—I wasn’t paying attention to details anymore. I hadn’t left the building in the last 24 hours and I was exhausted. The sounds of the hospital continually echoed in the fog of my thoughts. I played Doctor Stevens’ words in my head on repeat, but the memory of Hermes’ first touch in Hades’ temple still sent chills down my back. My daddy taught me better than to fiddle between boys. “Always pick the man, Dawn,” he would say. Thinking of my daddy reminded me that I needed to call him. I could only avoid his calls for so long.
ANNOUNCEMENT! Lola James is giving away a $10 Amazon or B/N GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour! So be sure to leave a comment AND use the Rafflecopter below. Also, visit the other tour stops for a greater chance of winning!
a Rafflecopter giveaway