Attention!

Thanks for visiting!
* When you see the * in my posts that just indicates a new line/paragraph. :)
* To see a lot of fun information, scroll through the side bars and to the bottom of the blog.

30 July 2014

Welcome special guest: author Stephanie Burkhart ~ @StephBurkhart @GoddessFish #paranormal #historical

Today we have author Stephanie Burkhart visiting.
* Stephanie Burkhart was born and raised in Manchester, New Hampshire. At 18, she joined the U.S. Army. She spent 7 years stationed in Germany. In 1995, she earned a B.S. in Political Science, magna cum laude, from California Baptist University in Riverside, CA and was named the Outstanding Evening College Student. Currently, she works for LAPD as a 911 dispatcher. She's been writing since she was six. Her first published novel is "The Hungarian" with Desert Breeze Publishing.

So, Stephanie Burkhart, what/who inspired you to become a writer?
* Would you believe that the 1970's show, "The Electric Company," did? I used to watch the show and then go to the kitchen table to write homemade comic books of the Spiderman skit I just watched.

When did you attempt your first story? What length was it? What's become of it?
* It was called "Destination: Berlin," and I must have struggled about 10 years to get it right. Eventually I used a vanity press to publish it under a pen name. I was very pleased with the final product, but I pulled it down a couple of years ago because I didn't want to deal with the vanity press anymore. The novel is a sweet military young adult story about 40,000 words. Once I find time, I'll either self-publish or approach a small press with the story.

How many stories did you complete before you sold your first?
* Three, including "Destination: Berlin." The first one I sold was "The Hungarian."

What are the best and worst pieces of writing advice you ever received?
* The worst? Use a vanity press. I suppose there are pros, but they all involve money I don't have.
* The best? Keep reading. Reading really does help to hone your craft as a writer in a variety of ways. Reading introduces new styles, new words, and new ideas.

The book you’re promoting, is it a stand-alone story or part of a series?
* Sunrise Over Brasov is Book 3 in the Moldavian Moon series. The series is about a witching family who struggles to break the werewolf haunting of their family. Book 1 is "The Wolf's Torment," and Book 2 is "Twilight Over Moldavia."

What sparked the idea for the story/series?
* I wanted to write a fairytale in reverse where the princess' kiss has to save the prince. So I wrote "Twilight Over Moldavia" first. Then I had to write about how Stefan got cursed so I wrote Book 1, "The Wolf's Torment," next. After that, I knew I had to write about Michael's struggles so I wrote "Sunrise Over Brasov."

*** Now for some fun info… ***
Would you/have you own(ed) a snake or some other exotic pet?
* When I was 6 or 7, my parents bought chickens. They were cute as chicks, but nasty as full grown chickens. I've had a cat or dog ever since.

Which do you prefer: rain or sun & warm weather or cold weather?
* I suppose it depends on my mood, but I'm generally an optimist so I prefer sun and warm weather to compliment my nature.

If you could live anywhere in the universe, where would it be and why?
* Toughie, for sure! Westros, I think. I'm really into Game of Thrones.

If you were stranded on a desert island and were only allowed to have five modern conveniences with you, what would they be?
* A generator so I would always have electricity, the Internet, a Kindle, a golf cart so I could get around, and a coffee maker.

*** About Stephanie Burkhart’s book… ***
~ Blurb ~
* Rosa Getzi lives a life of intrigue at Poiana Brasov with Clement, a werewolf, and Cassandra, the witch. Her past doesn't matter to her – until she discovers what it holds.
* Prince Michael Sigmaringen joins his sister-in-law, Caroline, and the vampire prince, Darius, in a daring rescue, igniting Rosa's desire to find her family. However, all is not as it appears. Rickard, Rosa's friend, escapes with her. Clement will go to any lengths to get Rosa and Rickard back.
* At Darius' fortress, Michael soon discovers Rickard is a new breed of werewolf – one who can control the change, and Clement hopes to exploit Rickard's abilities.
* Michael's courage, strengths, and convictions will be tested like never before. Can Michael and Rosa find true happiness and the rid the lupine haunting of the Sigmaringens once and for all?
~ Excerpt ~
* He raised his hand and lowered his hood. An inherent strength filled his profile. Confidence. Concern. Relief.
* Rosa's breath jammed in her throat. He looked familiar. He smelled familiar.
* "Rosa, it's Michael. Let's go."
* "I'm not going anywhere with you."
* A frown set against his rugged features. "I don't have time to argue -- now put on a warm dress and cloak."
* "No." She was not going anywhere with him despite the relief in his voice.
* He sighed and shut the door. Moving with fluid grace, he crossed the room, jerked the door to her closet open and threw the items he wanted her to wear on her bed. "Get. Dressed."
* "No." She was determined not to budge, despite the danger outside.
* "Rosa, we're leaving."
* "I'm staying."
* "Why would you want to stay? Clement kidnapped you."
* Disconcerted, she pointedly glanced away from his hard stare. What did he mean by kidnapped? Clement didn't keep her behind bars and feed her only bread and water. Rosa could even go into Brasov to shop as long as Lucien or one of the bodyguards went with her.
* "I'm going to take you back to your mother."
* Her head snapped toward his direction. Mother? Of course she had a mother -- a family, even -- only she had no recollection of them. So why did her body fill with warmth at the mention of her mother by a man she hadn't seen before, but was hauntingly familiar? She pursed her lips, torn by conflicting emotions.
* "Caroline and Darius can't keep this up. Now get dressed or I'll dress you myself."
* "You'll find me an unwilling subject."
* He drew in a deep breath and raked a hand through his thick ebony hair. "You are exasperating."
* "So I've been told."

***Buy Stephanie Burkhart's book here***
Desert Breeze Publishing | Amazon | All Romance eBooks | Barnes & Noble

***Find Stephanie Burkhart here***
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | You Tube | Pinterest

Thank you for joining us here today, Stephanie Burkhart! It was a pleasure getting to know you and your work.

ANNOUNCEMENT! Stephanie will be awarding a $25 Amazon GC to a randomly drawn commenter during the tour! So be sure to leave your name and email with your comment & visit the other tour stops (find them here: goddessfishpromotions-virtual-nbtm-book-tour-sunrise) for a greater chance of winning!

4 comments:

Mary Preston said...

A very interesting interview thank you.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thanks for hosting!

Stephanie Burkhart said...

Thanks so much for having me here today. I'll be in and out as I have to work today. Did you like the excerpt?

Smiles
Steph Burkhart
Romance Under the Moonlight

Rita Wray said...

Great excerpt, thank you.

Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com