What would you like to tell readers about yourself?
* I grew up on the American Great Plains, went to school in the Midwest, and now live in beautiful New England with my family and my enormous collection of houseplants.
* For more of Jael’s unique blend of futurism and fairy tale, don’t miss her ongoing series Once Upon A Red World.
What book are you going to tell us about today? Is it part of a series? If so, what's the order the books should be read in?
* My new release is Ladder to the Red Star, a retelling of Jack and the beanstalk set on a ruined planet Earth 300 years in the future. This science fiction romance is the second book in my Once Upon a Red World series, which follows the lives of Martian colonists and the men and women who love them. Each book in the series can be read as a stand-alone, because it retells a classic fairy tale with its own resolution for the main characters. However, every book in the series also delves deeper into an overarching conspiracy that threatens the inhabited planets of the Solar system. To understand how the threads of this plot begin to unravel, read Ice Red Book I of Once Upon a Red World first.
How'd you/your muse come up with this story?
* I first conceived of the idea of retelling fairy tales in a science fiction setting about five years ago, inspired by the science fiction worlds of Kim Stanley Robinson and Linnea Sinclair. How would magical motifs like enchanted mirrors and golden eggs translate into technological miracles like video screens and data spheres? Even more importantly, how would the social and psychological structures of fairy tales appear in a futuristic world? The concept intrigued me so much I just had to write it all down and share it with everyone.
Describe the hero in five words.
* A difficult challenge! All right, Jacques, the hero is; gorgeous, blond, smart, damaged, and possessive.
Describe the heroine in five words.
* Devi, the heroine would be; sexy, dark, brilliant, fun, and commitment-phobic.
Who's your favorite character in the book & why?
* A lot of writers and readers identify with the heroine of a book first, but I always have a soft spot for the heroes. Jacques is the perfect combination of ruthless power and emotional vulnerability wrapped in a beautiful male package. He just melts my butter.
What's your favorite line in the story?
* One of my favorite lines comes in the scene where Jacques is trying to convince Devi to marry him, and she isn’t sure he’s really ready to commit to her alone. He says, “There are never going to be other women. None of them could compare to you. You are the most beautiful, brilliant woman in all the Sol. You blind me. You ruin me. It will only be you, forever.” Sigh…
A look into the story
* Jacques Tallinn, biotech smuggler and thief, is after the cure for a brain disorder he's suffered since childhood--a disorder inflicted by a powerful tyrant. To get the cure, Jacques will need to climb the space elevator to the new Zenith space station hovering above Earth and go undercover in the lab where it's produced.
* Martian head tech Devi Chandra is immediately intrigued by her sexy new lab assistant. Though she insists on keeping things professional, she finds herself charmed by Jacques. Until he betrays her trust, kidnapping her and spiriting her off to Earth.
* All Jacques needed to do was steal the biotech and get back home. But when things go wrong, he can't bring himself to leave Devi behind. Now she's injured and a simple caper has become an intergalactic cause, endangering his life and the lives of millions of others. But the hardest part? Winning back Devi's trust.
* Danger was drawing close. He could see no threat, but he could feel one, taste it in the air like the crackle of a lightning storm. He had to get Devi out of here, back to Santos where she would be safe.
* But what if, after talking to her mother, after remembering the life he had stolen her from, she didn’t want to go with him?
* A bead of sweat trickled down his neck. If she came out of that booth and asked him to take her to a spaceport, he was truly afraid of what he would do. That he would become ten times the ruthless, soulless bastard he had always believed himself to be. That he would keep her, whether or not she wanted to be kept, whether or not she hated him for it.
* She was his life. How could he give up his life?
* He closed his eyes, and for the first time since he was a child, he prayed to Heaven.
* Please. I can’t let her go.
* “You don’t have to. I’m staying with you, Jacques.”
* His eyes shot open. She was standing across from him in the open com booth, a shine of happiness on her that made his breath stutter as he looked at her. Unknowingly, he had spoken aloud, and she had heard and answered his prayer.
* A hot bright light burst inside him, joy so profound it was beyond words. He stepped toward her, entranced.
* That was when the assassin struck.
* A thin figure like a huge black spider leapt at Devi from behind a tall console, hands outstretched, a blade glinting in one fist.
Buy Ladder to the Red Star here...
Carina Press | Amazon | All Romance eBooks | Barnes & Noble | eBooks
Find Jael Wye here...
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads
Thank you for joining us here today, Jael Wye! It was a pleasure getting to know you and your story.
ANNOUNCEMENT! Jael will be awarding a digital copy of Ice Red to a randomly drawn commenter during the tour! So be sure to leave your name and email with your comment, visit the other tour stops (find them here: goddessfishpromotions-virtual-book-tour-ladder-to-red-star) for a greater chance of winning!