Attention!

Thanks for visiting!
* When you see the * in my posts that just indicates a new line/paragraph. :)
* To see a lot of fun information, scroll through the side bars and to the bottom of the blog.

02 August 2013

Welcome special guest: author Douglas Black ( @DBlackErotica @evernightpub #LGBT #erom #shortstory )

Today we have author Douglas Black visiting.
Douglas Black started writing erotica at university. He returned to the genre in the summer of 2012. After a brief flirtation with self-publishing, Douglas’s first novella, ‘Business or Pleasure’ was published in April 2013. ‘A Secret Love’ was released by Evernight Publishing in July.

So, Douglas, what inspired you to become a writer?
* The honest answer to this question is - I don’t know. All I remember is that writing was all I ever wanted to do. As a child I used to copy my library books word-for-word onto sheets of A4 and then try to pretend to my parents that I had written them all by myself. Once I started properly writing my own stories and receiving compliments on them, I was hooked.

When did you attempt your first story? What length was it? What's become of it?
* I think I would have been about seven when I wrote my first story. It was a four-page effort written in felt pen and illustrated by my own fair hand. I believe it was called something daft like ‘The King Who Lost His Crown’. My mother probably still has it stuffed in a drawer somewhere…

How many stories did you complete before you sold your first?
* Far too many to count! I used to write short stories just for my own enjoyment so I had built up a pretty big collection before someone pointed out that I could maybe make some money from them!

What genre(s) do you write in? What drew you to write in it/them? What’s your favorite genre of all to write in?
* I write M/M erotica and for now that’s my favourite genre to write. I was drawn to it by a couple of different factors, but mostly just because I enjoyed reading M/M books!

What are the best and worst pieces of writing advice you ever received?
* Best = “Just bloody do it instead of sitting there talking about it!” (From my boyfriend. There really is no better advice. You have to get words down on the page. If those words are all bad, fine, you’re a bad writer, but at least you are a writer. If you only talk about writing, you’re not a writer!)
* Worst = “Don’t be subtle. Write like you’re talking to a very stupid child. Remember readers are idiots.” (From my high school English teacher! Words failed me even then…)

How do you celebrate/deal with acceptance/rejection letters?
* I drink far too much wine!

In regard to the book you’re promoting, which actors do you envision playing the roles of your heroes?
* I’d choose Gale Harold and Viggo Mortensen to play my lead characters, but that’s probably more because seeing those two men in the same room (not to mention acting out one of my steamy elevator scenes!) would fulfil one of my ultimate fantasies! Selfish of me, I know!

The book you’re promoting, is it a stand-alone story or part of a series? If it’s part of a series, please list the order the books need to be read in for maximum reading enjoyment.
* ‘A Secret Love’ is a stand-alone story published by Evernight Publishing. The real inspiration for it came after I was read a newspaper article about yet another actor ‘plagued’ by gay rumours. Regardless of the truth surrounding those rumours, the article got me thinking about what it would be like if, because of your career or family background, you were forced to hide your sexuality or relationship from those around you. It’s not an uncommon situation for people to find themselves in, sadly. The rest of the story came about as I tried to work out how people might cope in that situation.

*** Now for some fun info… ***
Are you a cat, dog or both kind of person?
* Dog person, definitely. I don’t understand cats. They never chase the ball!

Are you a morning person or night owl?
* I tend to burn the candle at both ends, so to speak, but I love early mornings. I like to be awake when it feels like the rest of the world is asleep.

If you could live anywhere in the universe, where would it be and why?
* Venice. Because it’s Venice.

*** About Douglas Black’s book… ***
The first draft of ‘A Secret Love’ took me one day to write. The inspiration came to me quickly and I jotted down as much of my idea as possible before I could forget it. This was by far the quickest and easiest story I have ever written, I think because I just enjoyed it so much! Mark and James were great fun to write and I’m glad I could give them the happy ending they deserve.
~ Blurb ~
* James is nervous when he pulls into the car park of the secluded and conservative Caledonian Hotel. He slips off his wedding ring, gives a false name at reception and checks into his room.
* When Mark finally arrives James expects their time together to conform to the usual pattern, but Mark surprises him. Mark wants candlelit dinners and walks on the beach. James, well, James just wants to make up for lost time. More importantly, he doesn’t want to get caught. They have six months left before they can leave behind everything they know and start a new life together and James is desperate to be discrete.
* Unfortunately, he never could control himself around Mark. Throw in an interfering old couple and some very public displays of affection and Mark and James’s short hotel stay might just be about to destroy not only the secrecy that has always shrouded their relationship, but also their plans for a future together.
Warning: m/m sex, sex toys, public exhibition

***Buy Douglas Black's book here***
Evernight Publishing | Amazon US | Amazon UK | All Romance eBooks | Bookstrand

***Find Douglas Black here***
* I’m on Facebook most days and am always happy to chat. Otherwise, catch me at any of the places listed below!
Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Goodreads

Thank you for joining us here today, Douglas Black! It was a pleasure getting to know you and your work.

No comments: