What would you like to tell readers about yourself?
* I’m an expatriate Chicagoan who has lived in England, Canada, Holland, and Sweden, and keeps a confusing amalgamation of languages in my head as a result. Currently located in the clavicle of Texas, I have finally mastered the proper use of "y'all," much to my Chicago family's dismay.
* Despite a healthy interest in sex since puberty, it wasn't until 2012 that I decided to try writing about it. As it turned out, the skills I picked up during my SF writing career transferred rather nicely to erotic romance. When not writing, I wrangle cats, smooch my husband, make dolls of dubious and questionable identity, and thank almighty Cthulhu that I don’t have to work for a major telecommunications company any more (because there’s BDSM, and then there’s just plain torture...).
What book are you going to tell us about today? Is it part of a series? If so, what's the order the books should be read in?
* Trickster is my first M/M shifter story, and was originally intended to be a short story submission for Evernight Publishing’s Alpha’s Claim: Manlove Edition anthology. Unfortunately, I wound up having the plague for most of November, and thanks to the various medications I was on the story just wouldn’t gel properly in my head. After three failed attempts I gave up and stuck all three versions in the “maybe someday” file.
* While working on another project in January, I decided to take a break and flip through my “maybe someday” file as a palate cleanser. When I found the most advanced version of my Alpha shifter story, I thought, “Hmm, this really is kind of a cool concept. If I expand it I can submit it as an ROTG story. I’ll just add a little more on, then go back to my original project.”
* The next thing I knew, it was four days later, my sleep cycle was completely flipped, I was knee deep in corporate espionage and the complications of M/M human/shifter mating when neither of them are gay, and I’d gone straight past ROTG length and was closing in on 20K. Plus my shifter was no longer an Alpha (which actually worked better, considering one of the other characters really needed to be the Alpha), and I came up with a novel way to send Morse code in an office environment. The result is Trickster, and I have to say that I am very pleased with the way it all turned out.
How'd you/your muse come up with this story?
* I see coyotes all the time in my suburb and have developed a respectful fondness for them, so I immediately decided to make my shifter a coyote when I started writing the story. As for the setting and industrial espionage subplot, those may have been influenced by my career in various tech companies. Oh, the stories I could tell you if I hadn’t signed those pesky NDAs...
Describe the hero in five words.
* Delaney Smith: Can roll with the punches
Describe the second hero in five words.
* Mark Fellowes: Proud to be a geek.
Who's your favorite character in the book & why?
* Mark, because he gets thrown into this insane situation and not only handles it, but outsmarts the villain when Delaney is in danger. Also, he’s just so damned snarky.
What's your favorite line in the story?
* Delaney: “I swear to God, I’m actually pretty personable when my dick isn’t trying to drain all the blood from my body.”
A look into the story
* Panting, he glared at Delaney. “Jesus Christ, what is wrong with you?” he yelled. “Do you even know how to knock?”
* “I did,” Delaney said, trying to sound innocent. “You didn’t answer so I got worried. Didn’t know you were in the shower until I came in here.” And you were coming in there.
* Without his glasses, Mark’s resemblance to a furious faun was even more striking. “God. I do not need any more of this tonight,” he growled.
* “This what?”
* “You, sneaking around and following me everywhere.” He scowled at Delaney’s groin. “Especially with another fucking hard on.”
* For some reason, that cheered the shifter. “You noticed, huh?”
* “Helen Keller would have noticed it, all right? Does it ever go down?”
* “Not since this morning. I can’t help it, babe. I smell you and I get wood.”
Buy Trickster here...
Evernight Publishing | Amazon - US | Amazon - UK | All Romance eBooks | BookStrand
Find Nicola Cameron here...
Website/Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Evernight Publishing | Goodreads | BookStrand | Amazon | All Romance eBooks
Thank you for joining us here today, Nicola Cameron! It was a pleasure getting to know you and your story.