What would you like to tell readers about yourself?
* I’m an award-winning bestselling author whose books range from romantic mystery/thrillers to contemporary erotic romance. I’m also a freelance photographer. When I’m not indulging in those two passions I can often be found in the Florida Keys, doing research in between parasailing and seeking out the perfect Mojito.
What book are you going to tell us about today?
* My newest release is the romantic thriller Warning Shot, featuring my two most popular characters, Nick Seven and Felicia Hagens. They’re both a couple of former CIA spooks living in Key Largo, Florida, trying to stay out of the intrigue and adventure that was a part of their former lives, but always getting dragged into something.
* Warning Shot is the third in this series, following the best selling books Memories Die Last and Never Look Back. The books do not need to be read in order, because each one recaps the character’s backgrounds while giving a few new hints into their personalities.
* I think this is one of the most action-packed, romantic thrillers I’ve written, with a topical theme, plenty of fast-paced adventure, humor, realistic atmosphere and some interesting characters. There’s also enough heat between Nick and Felicia to make Key West in July feel like Alaska.
How'd you/your muse come up with this story?
* The Nick and Felicia spy adventures typically draw from current events. I had wanted to do a story about these characters that began when they were both still with the CIA then flash forward to the present. Recent revelations about the secret snooping used by the Feds found their way into the plot, when I realized how easy it is to spy on people without their knowledge. It gives a real feeling of paranoia, which I incorporated into the characters. Nick has always come across as very confident and self-assured, but things happen that make him look over his shoulder and question everyone’s motives.
* One of the hallmarks of each installment is the internal fight Nick Seven wages when something from his past always pops up to bite him on the ass when he least expects it. He just wants to run his bar and restaurant in the Keys with Felicia and enjoy the sunsets. In this installment he ends up helping a friend from his spy days who may have gotten involved in a political assassination, and Nick feels obliged to stop him before it’s too late.
Describe the hero in five words.
* Rugged, handsome, romantic, funny and cool.
Describe the heroine in five words.
* Tough, beautiful, sex on two feet.
Who's your favorite character in the book & why?
* They’re all fun, but the one I found the most challenging was Nick’s former mentor. This character has gone to great lengths to make everyone think he’s turned into an eccentric paranoid recluse to cover up what he’s really doing. I had to show how erratic his behavior is and some of the things this character does provided the humor.
* The biggest hurdle I had to jump was with the two leads. Since each book in this series is a stand-alone title, it was challenging to recap their backgrounds for new readers who hadn’t read the first two, while not turning off followers who already know where these two people came from.
What's your favorite line in the story?
* “You know what they say about old soldiers, Nicholas – they want to die with their boots on. It gives them a sense of dignity and purpose, like their lives were worthwhile.”
A look into the story
* “Is that the only reason you’re glad I’m around?”
* “No, but it’s a long list.”
* She sat in his lap and kissed him. “I’ve got nothin’ but time, Tough Guy.”
* He caressed her cheek. “You’re resourceful, self-confident and independent.”
* “You just described a Boy Scout. Can’t you do better than that?”
* “You’re incredibly hot, passionate about everything and waking up next to you makes all my teenaged fantasies come true.” He paused. “Plus you make a mean stir-fried shrimp.”
* Felicia laughed. “Is that the best you’ve got? You were always better at foreplay.”
* Nick kissed her. “You make me feel alive and I can’t wait to start every day all over again with you.”
* She cupped his cheek and peered into his eyes. “That’s what I was gonna say. It’s kinda hard to explain but when I first saw you, all that time ago in London, it was like a jolt of electricity went through me. When you quit the Agency and I went back to Barbados, I felt this big empty inside, like somethin’ vital had been taken away.”
* He traced her jaw with his fingers. “Same thing I felt.”
Find Tim Smith & his books here...
Website | eXtasy Books | Amazon | All Romance eBooks | Bookstrand | Barnes and Noble